Sunday, November 21, 2010

If I wanted to change careers, how would I go about it?

My background is Human Resources. I've been working in some capacity in this field since 1996 and am starting to think that I might be getting a bit burned out. What can I do to change careers? What would be a good avenue to explore coming from this type of background?

Thanks for your help.If I wanted to change careers, how would I go about it?
People do one of two things - one, they get their degree then look for thejob they want, or two, they pick the job they want and pursue the qualifications they need to get it. The second is a much more reasonable approach. You didn't specify your level of responsibility, so if you don't have a degree, then you might consider one so you can elevate to doing what you do at a higher level. If you are already in a management position, consider how you add value to the company. That's the point that you are going to have to sell to someone else.



There are tons of careers that depend on an ability to deal effectively with people, and your background definitly supports this. I would think that you might consider being a job recruiter. There could be a little travel involved with some of those positions.



Something else you might consider - Is it that you are burned out doing HR, or are you just tired of your company? Would doing the same sort of job for a different outfit make you happier?



Draft your resume and float it out there, but don't do it from work - many companies monitor their employees' web traffic, and this type of activity could get you fired, or make your work environment unfriendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment