Sunday, November 21, 2010

Has anyone made a career change into Nursing successfully?

I have a BS in Business, and have worked in banking for 10 years. I'm thinking of transitioning into Nursing, but I was wondering if anyone else out there has a similar experience and how it all worked out. I want to go back to school to become a Nurse, but don't know what to do with my Full time job. Any suggestions?Has anyone made a career change into Nursing successfully?
I was an accountant and after I had my family I decided to change career and do something that was more worthwhile and personally satisfying. I did volunteer work at my local hospital and then they asked me to join them as a health care assistant which I did for a year which gave me a real feel for the environment and helped me to decide whether nursing was for me. I went to university to study nursing for three years then got a job on a surgical ward as a registered nurse. I found that nursing was a true vocation and I loved being able to care for people, physically, emotionally and socially. However, after a few years of being there the love of the job has gone, its not the nursing, just the politics of healthcare, the conflicts with staff, the lack of equipment and supplies, the red tape and paperwork, the blame culture, the lack of organisational support, having to watch your back, not being able to make the smallest mistake without the organisation coming down on you like a tonne of bricks, the pressure of understaffing, the fact that more and more work is put upon you and they expect you to be able to cope, the fact that nurses are being expected to take on more doctors jobs on the ward without financial gain, and the inflexibility of rostering. And I've been fighting a pay dispute for over a year as I am not being paid enough. All in all, it was not how I expected it to be and it has been a real disappointment to me. I am seriously considering leaving.



I would suggest you apply to do some voluntary work at your local hospital but spend the time watching the work of the registered nurse, see if you want their stress level and their responsibility, the training takes a long time and you need to know what you are letting yourself in for. Good luck.Has anyone made a career change into Nursing successfully?
If your heart is into nursing, go for it! It is a lot of hard work and nursing programs are very competitive. I was able to find a program with many courses offered in the evenings or on weekends.
  • a jewish last name
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment