Sunday, November 21, 2010

Anyone going through a career change? How to conquer the fear?

Any advice on how to figure out what your're supposed to be doing in life?Anyone going through a career change? How to conquer the fear?
I have always found a career change to be easier when I did it for the love of the new job, and not for an increase in salary.



Make sure that the new field you choose is really something that will connect with your heart, mind and soul.



Also consider that the very same job can be quite different in different locations.



For instance, if I were a cocktail waitperson, I'd hate to work in Las Vegas, with all of the negative energy and drunks. But I think it would be great to do the same job on Waikiki Beach in one of the resort hotels with an outdoor area boardered by the ocean.



Usually when I change jobs I relocate...not sure why...but I know it helps that I minimalize my life and do a major ';stuff'; inventory when I move.



I'm saying this because IF you can minimize your cash flow needs for the first year, you can focus more on fitting into your new job AND your new location.



Be willing to work extra hours at first, to learn the ropes, but also listen closely to your co-workers if they hint that you may be overdoing it.



Don't worry about trying to fix what isn't broken, and make a REAL effort to be a listener and not so much a commentator during your early time there. In fact, that's just a general good rule of thumb where ever you work.



Always talk to a number of people who are already in your field of choice, so that you can get a composite view of the perks and pitfalls. No job is perfect, but some are more perfect than others.



If you are very young, never rule out the military as an option for three years. You'll not only have your choice of schools if you have decent smarts, but you will likely be stationed somewhere you might not have otherwise visited in your entire life. If you do that, as an Army veteran I give a 100% endorsement to the Navy (Big Smile--but sincere)



Finally, look for places you can volunteer, or do an internship if you are still in college. These non-paying gigs can really open a lot of doors, so that by the time you graduate, the world is a bigger Oyster than it might have been, had you isolated yourself.



Blessings on you and your chosen future!Anyone going through a career change? How to conquer the fear?
Give it a red hot go
dont be a pu$$y. Its as simple as that.
Just follow your heart and keep a positive attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment