Friday, November 19, 2010

How to word cover letter (career change)?

Hi,

Since graduating school 14 years ago, I have worked in the fitness/coaching industry. Unfortunately this has resulted in several knee surgeries. It is now time to change careers but obviously im limited to sedentary type positions. Despite the knee injuries I'm in good health and still workout, but I just cannot commit myself to 40 hours in a physically demanding job.



I know my next job will be entry level in an office type setting, and I'm fine with that but my main concern is how to write my cover letter to explain my situation. I don't want to look like a sympathy case, neither do I want to look like I am constantly in pain and taking time of work.



Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.How to word cover letter (career change)?
For starters, how about staying in the fitness/coaching area, these businesses require the same administrative functions and related support as any other.



In addition, they will more understanding and supportive of your move into an office position in an area where you have knowledge and experience.



Cover Letter Tip



1. You don't need to explain an injury in a cover letter if you don't want to. The purpose of a cover letter is to get to the interview, you can explain your reasons later.



2. If you do disclose your reason for the change, make it positive. You love the industry and wish to stay in it, however, your doctor is advising contributing in other areas.



Hope this Helps,

GregHow to word cover letter (career change)?
First off, I wouldnt ever have to explain your situation to anyone. If you want a career change, thats your choice. As far as your medical conditions, another conversation to stay away from. Not anyones business. Your in great athletic condition as far as they know. Sell yourself on the things you know.

If they ask in an interview, just tell them you wanted to change careers since you felt you needed a change. Cover letters are online and on microsoft office with examples so check them out to the one you feel fits. Thats what I have been doing and changing them to the job I am applying for.
  • cat
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment