Sunday, November 21, 2010

How do I change careers and get into baking/pastry?

I'm currently working in a different field and want to change careers badly. My passion has always been cooking and baking, and I always dream of eventually having a catering business or bakery but realistically how expensive will it be and how long will it take? Also, I live in NJ so what culinary schools in NYC are the best and what are the likely salaries that I would be making if/when it all works out? Any links/helpful info would be very appreciated. Thanks!!How do I change careers and get into baking/pastry?
I would recommend working in a professional kitchen before thinking of going to school. School will give you a great basis to start from, but I don't think it really makes a huge difference. All refined techniques are learned on the job. It's much safer to start out actually working in the field rather than spending thousands of dollars on culinary school and then you end up hating your job. It takes a special kind of weirdo to be a kitchen person. There is absolutely no glamor as seen on food network. Days are long and hard but if your one of those weirdos who I spoke of, the industry can be very rewarding.



Also, keep in mind, starting out in this industry does not pay all that well until you're the boss or own the company. Then possibilities are endless but the kitchen can easily become your life. I don't mean to make it sound bad, because it's really not, but I definitely recommend testing the waters before shelling out for culinary school. Reading, watching TV and working in the industry can help propel yourself forward without ever stepping foot in a school.



If after deciding this is really what you want to do, I'm all for culinary school. You can learn a lot about the science of it all which most people don't think about in the real world.



The best of luck to you.How do I change careers and get into baking/pastry?
check out cia culinary institute of america. they have a program for pastrychefs and you will probably make like 70k = after graduation. good luck I hope you follow your dreams!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment