Friday, November 19, 2010

How old is too old to change careers?

I'm currently working in manufacturing. For the past two years I've been layed off from time to time and feel that eventually the plant will close. I'm wondering if I should plan ahead and get a CNA degree while I'm still working. Even though I'm in good health and physically fit I'm feeling insecure about making this change because I'm 52. Serious feedback please...and wise cracks are welcome too.How old is too old to change careers?
It's never too late to change careers. Most people now a days won't be with the same company their entire working life. I am always up for learning new things and challenging myself.How old is too old to change careers?
I think you would be fine. There is a shortage in nursing right now, which means that employers would be much more open to nontraditional employees. Besides, you probably have much more patience now than you did in your early 20s, so you might be very good at it.
I would be very careful. You might want to talk to potential employers to see if they would hire a mid-50's old new-hire. My guess is they won't. It might be great for your own personal accomplishment, but economically it might make zero sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment