Friday, November 19, 2010

How do you successfully make a career change?

I have an engineering degree....I am in a very unique situation. There are no jobs in my field in my location and I am trying to transition to something else that will use my degree. How should I make this transition? Has anyone done this before? Who should I consult for advice?How do you successfully make a career change?
What field do you want to enter? You don't say what you WANT to do, and that's a very important factor. With an engineering degree, you can do an 'add-on' and pick up a one-year teaching practicum and go into teaching. You can take a few MBA courses and go into management - there are tons of things you could do, but you have to first decide what you want to do. And if you want to stay with engineering but there raen't any jobs where you are - then go to where the jobs are. Life's too short to spend it doing something you aren't passionate about. How do you successfully make a career change?
I would first make sure I do my research on other careers. You don't want to go into another career that it is hard to get a job in. It is important that you network with colleagues or seek outside help from the unemployment office or a career center.

No comments:

Post a Comment