Friday, November 19, 2010

Career change poll: How would you feel if your company VP resigned and you got a big promotion?

...only to discover that he had embezzled half a million and negotiated worthless contracts effectively closing the company's doors in just a few months? Looks like I'll be on an extended vacation for the summer.Career change poll: How would you feel if your company VP resigned and you got a big promotion?
How would I feel? With my hands Dave. With my freakin hands. But I'd be feeling for some kind of weapon. A cudgel of some sort. A knobby club. An Ithaca 12 gage pump. Oh. That's not politically correct. But you asked. And I'm glad about your extended vacation. Maybe you could come up to Canada. We need guys like you to run a few of our companies into the ground. I'll put the coffee on. I'll put the beer in the cooler. I'll warm up a few cute Canadian girls for you.Career change poll: How would you feel if your company VP resigned and you got a big promotion?
Yeah. That.

Report Abuse


At least you are a step ahead of the rest of the employees. You have a phat new title to put on your resume and a few months notice to get your resume polished off and start looking for something. Look on the bright side when this crap happens to you--I know that before I found a good job, I had been laid off--and if they didn't lay me off I would have stayed in a bad job for quite a while.



Now to the actual question (even though I'm not sure you really wanted us to answer that). That sorta happened to me on a smaller scale, except that I was already employed elsewhere. I was really happy that I didn't take their offer, but I had a paycheck coming in at the time so I had the luxury of declining it.
But if you take the whole summer for vacation, surely they'll never let you keep the promotion!
I feel for your situation....I saw a movie about that once...You should sue the studio for giving somebody the idea...Or Jim Carrey...I think it's all his fault...
Ah...you have met The Hatchet Man, my fren'. A Corporate Pirate of the first order.



I've met a few in my time. I'm very sorry. =(



If you have business aptitude to be considered promotable to VP (despite the character of the previous guy) I feel that your vacation may be shorter than you think. After everyone is done wringing their hands about the Big Corporate Pirates on Wall Street and what they've managed to pull, small places will start trying to make business and take the place of the bigger guys that are no more.



I'd keep an eye out for small but promising businesses that want to grow their business and need someone with business aptitude to do that.
Get the eff out of here! that's pretty crazy.
Better start looking now, times are still tough out there.
Feel? Hm. Relieved. With great responsibility come critical coices.



Enjoy your summer :)

No comments:

Post a Comment