Friday, November 19, 2010

How do i answer an interview question which focuses on a career change?

I am going to an interview for a civil services job and i feel that the interviewer will bring up the fact that i did a teacher training course last year. How do i adequately answer him/ her when the ask why i didn't go into teaching. The real reason is the fact that i didn't want to be a teacher once the course was completed, i feel i don't have the right personality to teach as i am too shy. However this might be too honest an answer!!! Any tips?How do i answer an interview question which focuses on a career change?
I would have the answer bellow:

I used to be a very shy person. So I had to overcome my shyness. To do so, I attended a teaching class in which I had to talk to everybody else and try to learn how to comunicate everybody. Now I beleive I am less shy than before and I have much more self confidense while talking to people.

(Teaching is full of comunication even with childeren and their parents)How do i answer an interview question which focuses on a career change?
You can answer with something along these lines:

'; As I progressed through the course I realised that teaching was not a job that suited me. I would prefer a position where I am dealing with adults and where .......... (link this to the position you are interviewing for). I am not a person who likes to abandon something half way through so I completed the course before looking at other employment options.';

It is better not to mention being too shy - it creates an unecessary pre-judgement of you that is probably not relevant to this position. For a full guide to answering common interview questions and a list of sample answers go to the website below.Good Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment