Monday, December 12, 2011

I want to make a career change from Marketing to Chef.?

I have 4 years marketing experience in a successful career but this is not what I want. I have an entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for cooking and a desk job is not going to make me happy. So my field choice would be the food industry. But how do I get started? Is it worth the money to go to CIA or another culinary school?I want to make a career change from Marketing to Chef.?
First of all don't do it. Being a chef is hard, not glamorous. You will work long hours for little pay and ruin your body. Unless you manage to make it into the top one percent of your field you will never make good money. Furthermore, career changers never make it big in foodservice. If you didn't have enough of a passion for it when you started out in working life you sure as hell won't have enough now. When I was at the Culinary Institute of America the majority of career changers in my program dropped out.



If you still really want to be a chef go work in a restaurant for a couple of years. The CIA is going to require a minimum of one year experience anyway. If you do this you are being paid to train and find out if the life of a chef is right for you, rather than paying a school to do the same. It isn't worth the money to go to culinary school, especially not the for profit ones.



If you still insist on going to culinary school even with this advice make sure you do not go to one of these for profit schools. I have literally seen a Cordon Bleu graduate laughed out of an interview when the chef saw it on their resume. Schools like Le Cordon Bleu, The Art Institute, etc. are out for your money and do not give proper educations. They are predatory in their marketing and accept any and all students. Furthermore their price is similar to the good culinary schools like the CIA and Johnson and Wales.



In short: Don't be a chef. If you feel the need to try it out, go work in a restaurant kitchen. If you still feel the need to go to culinary school, DO NOT GO TO FOR PROFIT SCHOOLS!I want to make a career change from Marketing to Chef.?
The CIA requires that you have at least 6 months ';kitchen'; experience before you attend. So, if that is something you are willing to do, then go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment