Monday, December 12, 2011

How do i change my career without hurting my bank balance?

I want to get out of retail management but it's the only thing i've done since i was 16. How can I change my career cos the hours and stress are doing my head in.How do i change my career without hurting my bank balance?
I was the same as you...wanted a career change after working in retail for many years! I had a friend who recomended a job to me...I went for it and got it! Now working for a car rental company and I love it!How do i change my career without hurting my bank balance?
What education do you have? What skills do you have? What do you enjoy doing?



Piece all of that together and start applying to jobs in the want ads.



THEN ask yourself who is in your network - who can help you get a job? Colleagues? Friends? Teachers? Parents? Family members? Tell everyone you know that you are looking for something that is NOT retail and ask them for help. And if they can't help, ask them who else you might talk to - most jobs these days are through WHO you know, not WHAT you know. Work the network.



Alternatively, you might consider a different type of retail - the environment can differ greatly from store to store and from industry to industry - retail clothing may not be the same as retail furniture, for example.



Good luck!
The only real way to do this is, to takes on some adult education and learn a new skill. Sorry. Is there another location you could work at, which will provide a better deputy manager back up and a line which would interest you? Maybe that's something you could consider. Personal development courses are good. They are usually not too long and can give you a good insight into what it is you really want. I think there are some free ones which you can do on line. I wish you luck and understand what its like to feel a bit trapped in a job which you don't really like.

No comments:

Post a Comment