Monday, December 12, 2011

I want to change careers, but I can't decide between two very different careers?

How can I make the decision? I have already weighed the facts such as school, cost, job outlook, etc and they are pretty even. And, I already have a degree and I work full time, so I can't afford to just try different classes to see which I like as these are both graduate degrees.I want to change careers, but I can't decide between two very different careers?
hey,

great that you have weighed some of the options... and are making a rational decision.

Try talking to some people who have spent some time or have accomplished something significant in these two careers of your choice. Ask them about their journey and then think over what they said.. it'll help you get a clear picture about where you could be some years down the line.

Also conduct some research both offline and on line as to which of the two careers are better suited in terms of employment opportunity generation, diversification within the field (such as within IT there are different field of specialization... and new ones are coming up..), remuneration packages etc in the near future .. say 4-5 years down the line ...this would make you feel secure about your choice once you are done with the schooling bit....

Last but not the least ... don't leave it to chance .. sit peacefully and listen to what your inner voice says , which career do you feel more commited to on a long term basis.. you can write down your feelings.. it'll help. Then make the final move with all your determination.

I wish you good luck.I want to change careers, but I can't decide between two very different careers?
Flip a coin, or go with your gut, if you're leaning a little more toward one that the other.
What are you more passionate about? If none, then those two careers are not for you. Compensation and money is not a measure you success in your career.
Obviously, whatever pays more. The amount of money you make in a profession reflects society value of it. By extension, the industry that you practice your profession in is likewise valued. A certain job in Pharma will be more profitable then an identical position in Retail.



Those who say you can't buy happiness have never been to Vegas. When you realize that any corporation will hire and fire at the whim of Wall Street, the only logical decision is to become a financial mercenary. Be loyal to your career and the almighty buck, beholding to no company as they are only temporary stepping stones to the next bigger better deal.
I totally feel you on this one, I have a degree and work full time as well. Right now I am in the real estate industry but I want to go back to school. I either want to continue with this career and go back to become an appraiser...or something completely different: a registered ASL (sign language) interpreter!



The only thing I can recommend is talk to other people from each field. Find others that have taken each degree and how their jobs match their personalities. Choose the degree which meshes better with your work ethic and personality, thats going to make a better long term outlook for your mental health. :) Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment