Monday, December 12, 2011

I have been teaching elementary school for 7 years and I feel that I am ready to change careers. Help?

I will be moving to Philadelphia in a few months and I am really considering a career change. I was thinking about becoming a paralegal to learn more about law and decided whether or not I would like to go to law school. How do I go about doing this?? Can I take a quick paralegal course? What do I put on my resume, all I have done is teach which is not really relevant to a paralegal position?? Any advice would be most appreciated! :)I have been teaching elementary school for 7 years and I feel that I am ready to change careers. Help?
Looks like you need a degree, or you can take a diploma/certificate program at a community college for a year if you already have a related degree.



For a career change, the best type of resume to use is a functional or combination style, rather than the typical chronological.



Although there are not huge similarities between teaching and paralegal work, you would be using your advising and assisting skills, and maintaining accurate records. Visit your local employment centre and talk to an employment counsellor there. They can advise you about updating your resume, and just in case you decide that paralegal work is not for you, they can administer an interest and aptitude test.



Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment