Monday, December 12, 2011

How would you handle an unsupportive spouse when you want to change your career?

I have decided to change directions and jump from business to a career in the medical area. I need to go back to school for this as my education was not geared towards medical or science. I have been working on my classes at the local junior college and am in the last class that I need before I can apply to the program. I have worked very hard to make sure that financially things are caught up and a decrease would not be that much of a hit when I go back full-time to school.



My husband is now upset because I will not be able to continue a 9-5 job and just take classes at night. These classes are only offered durring the day and on a full-time basis. I never said that I would quit working, but that I would have to adjust my schedule to accomidate school.



Once I can complete this certification, I will be able to earn as much as I am making now and only work part-time if I wanted. He likes the money part, just not the school part.



Am I wrong for wanting this???How would you handle an unsupportive spouse when you want to change your career?
As long as you can both sit down and discuss the good with the bad then the lines of communication will work. His fears are valid, but might be focused on a small portion of the issue instead of looking at the total package.



Stick with it and don't give up. I'm sure that when your working full time and earning a good wage his fears will be non existent.



Good Luck.How would you handle an unsupportive spouse when you want to change your career?
You can do it! With or without him! You're a winner!
There is nothing ';wrong'; with wanting to go back to school. This would be a bign change, and your hubby probably has some understandable anxiety. It is going to take lots of effective communication from you to illustrate how you are going to make all of this work. Show him your plan; address his concerns. If you find he is still unwilling to support you through this, then you have to decide which is more important: your marriage's health, or your desire to pursue this endeavor. Good luck!
No you're not wrong and neither is your husband. I think its great what you're doing; it seems that your husband is scared of having the change in your life, your daily routine of 9-5, thats probably what worries him or what is making him upset.



Talk to him and explain to him how important this is to you; he may still not be supportive but you should go ahead with your plan anyway.



Once he gets used to the change, and hopefully understand, he may not be upset anymore. This may take time, but keep in mind, this is temporary.
Does he have a hard time with any change? Is he unsupportive when you get a hair cut, try to get healthy, etc.? That sounds like a real problem. If he is just more conservative, you can show him the plans you've made, the budgets and where you both will be in a few short years, and maybe that will ease his mind. Is he afraid your life is taking you in a direction away from him? Remind him how important he and your marriage is to you. You can do it! We're supporting you!!
If you love your spouse, I suggest that you have a chat with him. take it one step at a time and reassure him that you are doing it for the benefit of you both.

Sometimes a spouse may feel insecure about their partner going back to school for one of two reasons; an extra marital affair or what the college degree might make especially the man look like.

Generally speaking men do not like their spouses making more money than they do.(it's an ego thing)

So like I say just reassure him and work things out together. Find a way that he can support you in all of this and make him feel that you need him to support you achieve this success for you both.

Good Luck!
My company The Real Deal 4 You help clients find real employers that will pay you an hourly salary to work at home. If you want more information on these companies please contact me www.therealdeal4you.com Say Constants referd you.
I don't believe that you are. I would sit down with my spouse and lay out the cards. Show him what you are working with (work schedule, school schedule, time-for-him schedule) and solicit his suggestions. Generally, if a man has a hand in a decision, he will support it. Do not use your current situation as an option for him to consider. Do your homework on the pros/benefits of your proposed change and be ready when he questions the soundness of your decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment