Monday, December 12, 2011

I WANT TO BE AN ELECTRICIAN!!! but I am working in a career that has nothing to do with it, what can I do?

I am currently looking to change careers, I am a 20 year old father working in debt collections for the past year and a half, I previously worked at a theme park in food service, I have recently developed an inkling to pursue a career in the electrician's trade, but have been discouraged by seeing that it can take up to 5 years of apprenticeship before one can be certified, I previously had a bias against this profession due to the fact that my step father is a self employed electrician, and he's not the smartest man in the world, so I always considered it a dead end job, but there's actually very very good money in the work, he went into business with his father straight outta high school, so he never had to complete any training or apprenticeships, and was ';grandfathered'; into being allowed to continue the profession without any certification, how long of a timeline am I looking at from if when I start down the path to becoming an electrician, till when I actually become oneI WANT TO BE AN ELECTRICIAN!!! but I am working in a career that has nothing to do with it, what can I do?
3 paths to becoming an electrician:

* Education: An associates degree will open doors for you in Construction, Service or Maintenance.

* On The Job Training: Start as a grunt and work up. Set you own progress and proficiency level through hard work and self study. Journeyman level within 3 years is not a n unreasonable expectation.

* Union Apprenticeship: If you don鈥檛 have a sponsor you are pretty much out of luck.



Shameless promotion: for Construction HeadsUp Board.

http://g23.proboards106.com/

-I WANT TO BE AN ELECTRICIAN!!! but I am working in a career that has nothing to do with it, what can I do?
I have been an electrician for 28 years. If you want to become a licensed electrician in most any state (that I'm aware of), you MUST obtain at least four years (@ least) of supervised ';ON THE JOB'; training/experience. Few educational programs are accepted towards this requirement.

Report Abuse


Go to school for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment