Monday, December 12, 2011

How do I change career from an Assistant Buyer to investment banking?

I work as an Assistant Buyer in an organic grocery store and would like to work in an investment bank. I have an BBA in Business Management. I really like to get an internship but companies require the person to be an undergraduate or graduate student. I'm a not student.

I took the GMAT and didn't get to any Master Degree program. I'm go to take Finance and Investment Certificate Program. Does this help me get a job in the investment bank? What is an entry level job for investment banking? I really do not know what to do. Thanks for the helpHow do I change career from an Assistant Buyer to investment banking?
Realistically, if you even got an interview with an investment bank I would consider it a miracle. Unless you went to an Ivy League school for undergrad or grad school it is a long shot. It is tough in investment banking right now, with most i banks cutting jobs, not making new ones. The Certificate programs will probably not help at all. An advanced degree in a quantitative field on the other hand, would help. As for an entry level i banking job, you would start off as an analyst, unless you grabbed a PhD on your way to work one day, then you may start as an associate. Either way, be prepared to not get paid much (compared to other more lucrative jobs on Wall Street), work 100+ hours a week, and have no life.



Good Luck!How do I change career from an Assistant Buyer to investment banking?
i think you getting a certificate is a fabulous idea! as an assistant starting out in IB you'll have to book a lot of hotel reservations on behalf of your IB team, oh yeah and plane tickets too, .. you have tobe very organized and you musn't forget anything. write every tiny thing down because people will rely on you to remind them of this and that and whatever. you will need to type at least 65 words per minute and know microsoft excel. a nice phone voice is desirable.

No comments:

Post a Comment