Monday, December 12, 2011

I am changing career after 30 years in retail, how can I convince new employer that I am serious?

I would like to work in an office environment, I can type 60 wpm, and perform most office duties. I don't require the salary that I use to make as a retail manager. Really tired of nights, and weekends, any help would be truly appreciated. ThanksI am changing career after 30 years in retail, how can I convince new employer that I am serious?
Lay it out just like you just did. I went from owning a business to working for someone else. I was worried about what new employers would feel about that, but they can value that you did something and it is not for you anymore. They are getting more than they are paying for in you because they are able to offer better hours, less stress, etc.I am changing career after 30 years in retail, how can I convince new employer that I am serious?
time is the best source
You might try volunteering in an office environment (e.g., your local Blood Bank). Volunteer work looks *great* on a r茅sum茅, and performing the work will prove you have office skills, as well as provide references for you about them.



BTW, one note on your message: You may have forgotten the 'd' in 'used to.' Editing yourself, and being grammatically correct, are essential to working in an office.



Best of luck to you ...
Excellent advice from buffettour. Or you can do in reverse exactly of what he did. Drop your employee mentality and open your own Home Based Business.



After so many years in one industry and such a vast experience you could and you should write (hint) -- two or three manuals advising retailers what to look for, avoid, improve, etc., they will be more than glad to pay you for your advice for Prevention is the mother of Wisdom.



If you need some pointers in this direction, let me know. My gmail address is listed in my profile.
I kinda just did this but I had only been a retail manager for 3 years. When interviewing I told people the truth, while in college I dreamed about marketing and advertising...not retail. I took the first well paying job offered to me when I was 22 and it wasn't what I wanted. I thought I could do anything for that salary but I fell into a trap where I wasn't happy and I wasn't doing what I wanted to do. I told people I was willing to take a large pay cut to get back on track with what I want and I found a GREAT marketing job within 2 months. I really think being honest is the best way. Speak from the heart and good luck :)
I changed career 4 months ago, after 20 years working too many hours, with time for my kids, and never enough money for my future, it wasn't a life.

I decided to start my own home business, and things have changed so much for me and my family. Now I work from home 2-3 hours a day, I have a lots of time for my kids, and I am making more money than I ever did even in my best job.



Maybe this could be for you, I am so greatful for this opportunity. Check it going to:

http://mysecuredsuccess.com

No comments:

Post a Comment